Teen volunteer program at Woodland Park Zoo
If you are interested in working with other teens from around the city and want to learn and teach others about animals and conservation, then ZooCorps is for you!
ZooCorps offers participants a unique opportunity to develop useful job/public speaking skills, increase their knowledge of animals and their habitats, and to expand their conservation awareness, in a collaborative and fun learning environment at the Zoo and beyond.
- Teach zoo visitors of all ages about animals, their habitats and conservation efforts
- Participate in conservation projects in the Seattle-area
- Gain experience in public speaking, education, teamwork, leadership and a variety of specific job skills that support the mission of the zoo
- Volunteer year-round at indoor and outdoor sites around the zoo
- Are important members of the Woodland Park Zoo community!
Are You Eligible?
- You must be at least 14 years of age and in the 9th or 10th grade by the time of application.
- Able to attend the 8 week training program, 4-5 hours per week (Saturday afternoons March through May)
- Able to volunteer at least 25 hours of service per month in both July and August plus 2 shifts per month September through June during your first year as a volunteer.
Note: hands-on contact and working directly with animals is limited during the first summer season and not a key part of the program. (Teens completing prerequisites are eligible for additional animal handling training and certification for animals used in specific educational programs.)
The 2013 training class is full. Applications for the 2014 class will be available December 1, 2013. Please check back at that time for more information about next season.
The application period for the 2013 training class opens Saturday, December 1, 2012 and closes on Monday, January 10, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. Applications and recommendation forms received after this date and time will not be accepted.
Please follow all of the application instructions carefully. Incomplete information may delay or invalidate your application.
Application materials will no longer be available for download after Monday, January 7, 2013.
Applicants who successfully complete their applications will be contacted for an interview.
Interviews will begin in mid-December and will be completed in late January.
If you cannot find the answers to your questions about volunteering or need additional help please contact program staff at 206.548.2450
ZooCorps Teen Program staff at 206.548.2699 or firstname.lastname@example.org